Most of us wish to earn money from home after our maternity break. This way we can take care of our kids and support our family financially. Kaplana also wished for the same and wanted to earn money from home.
Kalpana Rajesh, a chemical engineer from Andra Pradesh had difficult time managing her son. She was a software consultant. It was very hard for her to leave the kid at the day care and go to office every day.
She then decided to start a business just to earn a passive income for her family in 2012. Her family were involved in wedding floral hairdressing for brides for several generations.
Image credit: https://www.facebook.com/PelliPoolaJada/
Initially, her mother helped her to make floral hairdressing. Two of her neighbours also helped her in making the floral arrangements. Totally, there were only three employees.
Kalpana used the digital marketing to the fullest. She started a Facebook business page, website and marketed her business. She was then able to showcase her product to the entire world.
Kalpana showcased her client’s wedding floral hairdressing arrangement on her Facebook page. She also tagged bride’s name. This was the post were shared by their family and relations. She got more business from their friends and referrals. Social selling really did the magic.
Now, she has 36 branches working all over India with 250 employees. Her main marketing strategy is social selling. If she has done the same through direct marketing, it would take 12 years to reach this stage.
These are the key take- away from her story:
1. Believe in yourself- Kalpana believed in her. If you think you can, you can.
2. Be Ambitious- Set a goal for yourself and focus on achieving it. Kalpana certainly had a goal.
3. Self-confidence- I believe in Beryl Markham words: “Success breeds confidence.”
4. Passion – Kalpana choose Pelli Phool jada as her business. Her family was doing this jada work through several generations. If you wish to build a successful business, you need to choose a things that you love to do.
5. Willingness to learn – Kalpana marketed her business through the latest digital technology. She had the willingness to learn. It helped for success.
6. Assertiveness- She is indeed an assertive woman. Being a business woman in India is quiet challenging. You must face several criticisms. You must be assertive to gain respect.
7. Hard work: Kalpana had really pushed herself from the comfort zone to grow her business. Margaret Thatcher said: “I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe.”
8. Persistence: To succeed in your business, you have to be persistent and never give up.
One of the best ways to earn money at home is to start a business. Kalpana is one among us. If Kalpana can, we can as well.
What do you think about Kalpana’s story? Share it with us on the comments section. Please share this article with your friends. This can inspire them too.